The Dark Side of Sex Toy Businesses - dirties tricks that you don't know
by Queerkka Sex Toys on May 01, 2022
What can be more radical than being a sex toy brand and writing about the darkest side of sex toy businesses? As an ethical adult toy brand based in Australia, Queerkka is uncovering dirties, most unethical business tricks pulled by the largest lingerie and sex toy companies.
In this series, we will warm you up by 3 more commonly-known problem, before we dive into the darker ones.
Issue No.1: Toxic Materials
Some cheap toys that you can buy in Australia contains jelly rubber/polyvinyl chloride (PVC). They can affect the hormone balance of your body & your reproductive functions. They're also linked to breast cancers.
Before you asked: toys from Queerkka are RoHS and CE certified.
Other toxic materials to look out for:
- Latex (a common allergen that triggers asthma, eczema, etc)
- Bisphenol A (BPA) - leads to reduced testosterone levels, disrupted hormones, disrupted fetal development, cancer, and so on
- Melamine - can lead to kidney failure
- Polyacrylamide & Acrylamide - can lead to cancer
- Trimethyltin Chloride, Phenol, Carbon Disulphide & Toluene - they're all highly toxic materials that can lead to various problems from eye damage to death, you don't want to mess with them
- Glycerin - can cause dizziness, dryness, vomiting
- Parabens - can cause common skin problems
- Cadmium - can produce flu-like symptoms and even damage lungs. Can also result in kidney/bone diseases
- VOC ingredients - side effects range from nausea to liver and kidney damage
Issue No.2: Poor Deisgn that leads to STI transmission
Another problem with cheap materials are the sheer amount of holes, pores, and cracks within toys, especially fleshlights. They are hard to sanitise and can pass on STIs like syphilis, herpes, hepatitis, and HIV.
Issue No.3: Unsafe design/ promote unsafe practices
Some anal/prostate don't have an adequate base to prevent the toy from getting lost. Some vendors also promote anal-eaze which prompts the risk of anal tearing, haemorrhoids, anal fissures, and even rectal prolapse.
Before you asked: Queerkka's anal toys all comes with a safe base/handle. Check them out now
Scary enough right? We haven't even scratched the surface yet! Stay tuned for Vol.2 and in the meantime, if you care about your friends and partners, share this blog with them!